We were promised sunshine for today’s Tullie Time Travellers session so we planned to head out into the gardens and look out for signs of spring. Not to be put off by cloudy skies we headed out anyway to see what we could find.
We started by splitting into 4 teams and doing a Spring Flower Scavenger Hunt. Our teams had to find and photograph 8 flowers – first team to get all 8 wins the scavenger hunt and gets themselves on the Tullie Shield.
All the teams put in a lot of effort, but in the end it was down to the two teams of girls Team Labybird were off looking for green buds, when Team Lily headed back having found all 8!
After doing such a good job tracking down some spring flowers we set our nature hunters off to see if they could get photos of any of the birds or insects that call in to the gardens here at Tullie House. However, we soon realised that birds and sometimes even insects move a little too fast for our photographers in training!
When it got a bit cold we headed back inside to test our Time Traveller’s nature knowledge in our animal quiz – how would you do?
1. Can you name two of the three species of snake native to the UK?
2.The slow worm is a type of lizard with no legs, true or false?
3. The average mole weighs 80 grams, how many earthworms do they have to eat everyday? 5g, 20g, 50g or 100g?
4. What is the name for a group of cows?
5. All blackbirds are black. True of false?
6. Which of these animals is the fastest? A cheetah, peregrine falcon, snail or rabbit?
7. What type of animal is a barracuda?
8. What is the name for a group of toads?
9. What is the longest species of snake?
10. What is a vixen?
11. What do you call where an otter lives? A sett, a holt, a drey, or a nest?
12. Where are a grasshoppers ears located?
13. Which animal can sleep standing up? A cow, a horse or a sheep?
14. What is a baby kangaroo called?
15. Can ostriches fly?
Three of our teams tied for second place with 10 correct answers out of 15 – but the winners with an amazing 13 right answers was Team Paper Towel (better known as Bert and Matthew!) getting their names onto our Tullie Shield!
To finish off the session we stayed in the warmth and headed up to the Border Galleries to see if we could spot any animals amongst the objects on display, not including the natural history collection of course!
Don’t forget, the next Tullie Time Travellers is on Saturday 18 April and we’ll be looking at our ARTIST ROOMS Anselm Kiefer exhibition and making some of our own Kiefer inspired masterpieces. If you are or know a child aged 8-13 who would like to join the Time Travellers contact email@example.com
Answers to the quiz: 1. Grass snake, Adder or Smooth snake. 2. True. 3. 50g. 4. Herd. 5. False. 6. Peregrine Falcon. 7. Fish. 8. Knot. 9. Python. 10. Female fox. 11. a holt. 12. On its knees. 13. Horse. 14. Joey. 15. No.